header photo

Common Pet Poisons To Watch Out For

January 28, 2014

As a pet owner, you should be careful about what goes into your beloved pet's ceramic dog bowl. Many animal lovers don't realize that their pantry favorites are actually very dangerous (and at times even deadly) for their furry pals.

It's a fact that animals LOVE to eat – and given the chance, they'll eat anything all day! That's why pet owners should be perpetually alert. Check out a few harmful food items below to avoid emergency trips to the pet hospital:

Right Food For Dogs

Chocolate

The number one pantry culprit. Responsible for symptoms such as diarrhea, vomiting, hyperactivity, and abnormal heart rate; in severe yet rare cases, it might even lead to death. The darker the chocolate, the more toxic it is for your dear furballs. This is due to their chemical compound methylxanthine, which is lethal once ingested. A small accidental cookie is fine – but more than that and it would be a real threat.

Caffeine

A human favorite but a poison to pets. Signs to watch out for in case your furry companion has swallowed some would include: restlessness, tremors or seizures, collapse – and death. Caffeine is not limited to coffee; diet pills, energy drinks, and tea all contain this ingredient. Be careful whenever you see your pet scouring the garbage can, especially if you just threw in a can of soda (yes, that has caffeine too).

Garlic

This Asian staple tastes great for stir fries and is beneficial for human hormones. Unfortunately, the opposite is true for household pets. Garlic causes weakness, drooling, abdominal pain, nausea, and collapse. These symptoms don't usually appear immediately and might even take a couple of days before becoming noticeable. Japanese dog breeds (like Akitas) and cats are more sensitive to garlic than most pets.

Raisins

It's not just raisins that are lethal to cats and dogs; their cousins such as currants, organically-grown grapes, and grape bagels are bad for pets. Although it's not exactly understood how these foods affect their system, it's clear that it leads to pet anorexia (inability to eat anything), kidney failure, and abnormal urination. Beware of grape-laden family favorites too, like trail mix and juices.

Salt

A kitchen necessity but a poison to your furry pal! The common practice of using salt to induce vomiting in pets during emergencies is NOT recommended. Vets and pet clinics don't use this method. If your animal friend has been poisoned with this substance, he can show signs of excessive thirst or urination, lethargy, vomiting – and in untreated scenarios, coma followed by death.

Alcohol

Although plenty of pet owners know well enough never to give alcohol to pets, it's surprisingly a common pet emergency! That's because alcohol can be found in the most unlikely products such as fruit cakes and bread dough. If your furry pal accidentally eats it, it can lead to retching, stomachaches, weakness, elevated heart rate, and bloating (for those who swallowed unbaked bread dough with yeast).

Sashimi For Siamese Cat

Remember: not all human foods are safe for animal consumption. Pets are naturally curious by nature and could attempt to munch on these behind your back. Keep your pantry closed and be sure that treats (like cookies or chocolate) are safely stored in containers.

Pet poisons are everywhere and are not limited to food – so ba vigilant!

Go Back

Comment